- Use a sponge dipped in a mild soapy dishwater solution to clean either canvas or vinyl umbrellas. Rinse with a hose, then open to let dry in the sun.
- Apply automotive vinyl finish to a clean, dry vinyl umbrella to keep soil and stains at bay.
- Remove built-up grime by using a cleaner sold for the vinyl tops of cars.
- Keep the umbrella closed during the rain, but try to open it immediately after becoming wet so that it can dry. Clear away any dirt or debris that may have gotten into the folds while it was closed.
- Clean the umbrella thoroughly and let it dry completely before storing it away for the winter.